This weekend saw a return to the homeland. Yes, yes, the first Neeser’s crossed the Atlantic on the good ship Windermere in 1862, leaving behind their lovely abode in Altstetten, Switzerland (kinda by Zürich). The roommates and I passed through this bustling city on our ten hour train journey to Basel, the arrival in which proved to be quite interesting as midterms prevent one from making proper travel arrangements. Thank goodness for locals who recognize that four girls outside a train station stooping over a map and flipping through “Europe on a Shoestring” is a silent plea for help. Luckily we found the hostel and also learned that, to our great fortune, the city was hosting a “Fun Fair” that weekend. Thursday night and Friday day were spent enjoying the carnival atmosphere and exploring the beautiful historical background. Ooo, and we got to take a ferry across the Rhine. Very exciting.
We were to have lots more excitement when we traveled on Friday night to the adventure capital of Europe, Interlaken. But alas, the weather did not cooperate. The fun theme did continue, though, as we stayed at the “Funny Farm,” which to some extent lived up to its purported rambunctious Australian atmosphere. My favorite part was the massive (and massively slobbery) resident St. Bernard, Schlipp. Another highlight was the fondue, but as having never experienced the meat variety, I was a bit alarmed at the rawness of the chicken. My fears were quickly allayed with the explanation of the whole boiling oil set up, and I quite enjoyed the rest of the meal, especially with the kitschy German background music. Saturday morning we were fully prepared to take advantage of the outdoor escapades of this town nestled between two beautiful lakes and surrounded by towering Alpine mountains. I must admit I was a bit wary of the whole tandem paragliding idea, but by the time we had driven up to the take off point, I was kinda excited. Unfortunately (or fortunately), whichever way you look at it, turbulence and impeding rain forced us to scratch the plans. Despite this disappointment, Switzerland left a good taste in my mouth (oh, the chocolate wasn’t bad either). Wherefore did Jacob Neeser ever emigrate out of this country of magnificent mountains, food, and puppies? Ich weiß nicht.
We were to have lots more excitement when we traveled on Friday night to the adventure capital of Europe, Interlaken. But alas, the weather did not cooperate. The fun theme did continue, though, as we stayed at the “Funny Farm,” which to some extent lived up to its purported rambunctious Australian atmosphere. My favorite part was the massive (and massively slobbery) resident St. Bernard, Schlipp. Another highlight was the fondue, but as having never experienced the meat variety, I was a bit alarmed at the rawness of the chicken. My fears were quickly allayed with the explanation of the whole boiling oil set up, and I quite enjoyed the rest of the meal, especially with the kitschy German background music. Saturday morning we were fully prepared to take advantage of the outdoor escapades of this town nestled between two beautiful lakes and surrounded by towering Alpine mountains. I must admit I was a bit wary of the whole tandem paragliding idea, but by the time we had driven up to the take off point, I was kinda excited. Unfortunately (or fortunately), whichever way you look at it, turbulence and impeding rain forced us to scratch the plans. Despite this disappointment, Switzerland left a good taste in my mouth (oh, the chocolate wasn’t bad either). Wherefore did Jacob Neeser ever emigrate out of this country of magnificent mountains, food, and puppies? Ich weiß nicht.

Glorying in my Zürich homecoming at the train station.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home