Well, it’s been a sports filled couple of weeks, and my love for
Two Thursdays ago I ended up popping over to the All England Tennis Club after work. We only had to queue for an hour for ₤12 ground tickets (and I got a pretty sweet “I’ve Queued at Wimbledon 2007” Q-shaped sticker, well, six to be precise) before passing through airport level security (the lady to my left had to trash a pointy hair clip). Unfortunately, most of the top seeds had demolished their opponents that afternoon, so we settled for a random gentlemen’s doubles match. In between sets we enjoyed some delightful strawberries and cream (note that the cream is not as solid as I had expected) and soaked up the atmosphere on the hill outside Court 1, furnished with a big screen TV broadcasting the major matches. We then headed back to the doubles, and what a match it was. Suffice it to say, French and Brazilian tempers flared (result of a certain shoulder “bump” incident), the Mexican wave oscillated around the stands (still not certain why the Brits add the adjective), and play stretched into the twilight hours in a tight five-setter that lasted longer than any other matches of the day (have I mentioned that the sun sets at 10:30 p.m. here?).
Saturday saw the other side of the sun, as one of my bestest friends from home, who is studying in
Emmeaux et Kristeaux à le Tour de France. (Pardon my French.) Sadly, -eaux does not rhyme with “moo,” as we had believed for so many years, but rather it rhymes with “mow.”

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home