Pineapple Princess

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The Queen really does milk this monarch bit for all its worth. On Saturday, I went to “Trooping the Colour,” which is basically a big birthday parade for her, only to find out that she was actually born in April. Additionally, a friend studying abroad in New Zealand said they had a birthday celebration for the Queen two weeks ago and another in Australia when she visited there last week. If it were me, I’d distribute the wealth more evenly over entire the year, but I guess she can do what she wants. She is the Queen.

So in addition to adjusting to royalty, I’ve undergone an identity modification. Kirstie must be a much more popular name here than Kristie. The vast majority of people call me Kirstie when they first meet me, and even those who know it’s Kristie revert ever so often to the “i” before the “r.” Which is quite all right with me as I kind of like it better.

What I don’t like better is the public library system. I’m pretty sure they don’t want you to read. (Kind of like a certain study abroad office I know that doesn’t want you to study abroad...) All I wanted was a book to read during the forty-five minute commute to work, but it took me three trips to two different libraries just to procure a borrower’s card. And of course after I’d finally successfully checked a book out, I set off the detector alarm system, but I just kept my head down, walked briskly, and pretended not to notice the security officer motioning me over from his desk. Library crime. It ain’t pretty, but there are only so many months in the summer. Anyway, I must prepare for my meeting with a future knight in the morning. Parasites are the coolest.

1 Comments:

Blogger Annie said...

Kirstie, I miss you! Check your facebook page - I have an idea about how to fix the whole missing each other's birthdays issue. I enjoyed reading about your time in London . . . makes me wish I was back in Kiwiland!

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home